Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Sometimes democracy is not a good thing....for people under the age of 10.


During my latest trip to KL, someone told me that sometimes being outspoken is not a good thing, especially coming from a child. I disagreed at that time, but I'm inclined to change my mind now.

Here is the incident that made me rethink this thought:

I tend to get frustrated when my children do not finish their last few mouthfuls of dinner. So I always attempt to force-feed them till their bowls are clean. This happened tonight with Brandon.

Here is the ensuing conversation....or should I say, one-line back-chat that leaves me speechless.

Me (in frustrated voice while feeding him): Brandon! You're 7 years old. Why do I always have to feed you?

Brandon (in a nonchalant manner): I don't know. Probably because YOU want to.

OK. Perhaps I had that coming and didn't think my sentence through before I delivered it. So, I tried a psychological approach, and exploited his latest love-interest in my ploy. FYI....he likes his little 8 year old classmate, Fleur. Again, I tried.

Me: Imagine what Fleur will think of you if she finds out that your mum still feeds you your dinner. Won't you feel embarassed?

Brandon: Well....if I don't say anything, and YOU don't say anything, how would she know?


Right! I'll just shut up from now on.

No comments: