Saturday, December 26, 2009

The Joy of Christmas

On Christmas Eve, we had a little party at po-po's house and invited families and close friends. It was an exciting and fun event especially for my kids. Chloe got her hands on decorating and wrapping presents for everyone, while po-po and I were busy in the kitchen preparing a couple of dishes. By three o'clock even the youngest was getting into the mood and was nagging to put on her "princess" dress...about four hours before the fiesta was to begin. 

Here they are all dressed up and ready to par-TAY!! 



The presents. Yes, that is our less than impressive Christmas tree (by my standard, of course), but my kids didn't care. Admittedly, they did do a good job at assembling and decorating the whole tree themselves. Well done kids!



The spread of delicacies a'la Malaysian style. There was a mixture of Nyonya, Cantonese, Malaysian and Italian dishes, a bit of everything for all. On the menu were fried rice, curry chicken, tomyam meehoon, sticky rice, woo-tau-kou, satay, stir-fried kai-lan and spaghetti bolognaise. Uncle Chong...don't you wish you had come here sooner ;) I just had to enlarge the pictures of the food to entice you.



And we can tell which dish is the favourite among the kids...courtesy of moi!



Following tradition, after dinner, all the little cousins waited patiently in front of the Christmas tree for the distribution of pressies. I'm glad they all were willing photographees before the moment of giving. Thanks kids for holding out for that extra five seconds before the goodies.




And one for Ah Sum Che-che for being the best and funnest auntie in the world.



The opening of presents and testing out their goodies would've been the highlight of the night for the kids.



It took me quite awhile and a lot of effort to get my three rascals to go to bed after the guests have left. As tradition goes, they hadn't forgotten to leave Santa and his reindeers some snacks for their work on the eve of Christmas. By Christmas morning their gesture of goodwill have not gone unnoticed. Santa left them stockings stashed with goodies from their wishlist. They also had a thrill of a time opening presents from all who came. Thank you everyone for fulfilling the kids' wishlist. Please excuse the bed-hair and PJs, but the pressies just can't wait :)



All in all, this year's Christmas in KL went well and everyone had fun. However, the one missing piece that makes our Christmas whole is Yee Pak. I still miss you everyday~



4 comments:

Vincent ckc said...

Nice to see the kids enjoying their presents.What a pity there is no snow and the smell of real Christmas tree.We were blessed with snow on the eve of Christmas and on the 25th,the snow slowly melting away.
I think I'll start with the satay,I mean the whole plate!Then chicken curry and kailan stir fried.That's enough,not getting younger anymore and the tummy I think also getting smaller!
Matrix? or mat trixed!

Eva Lee said...

It was a joyous occasion for the children (pressies for all) and adults enjoyed a good variety and taste of Xmas Eve dinner.

Even though Yee Suk/ Yee Pak is no longer around snapping pictures, laughing & smiling all the way especially with the children, but we know he will always be in our hearts every moment/ every occasion/ every celebration. "We miss you so much, Yee Suk".

Edith said...

You're right, Ah Sum. Since I've been back, at any family gathering or function, I've just been imagining Yee Pak there with us. Christmas eve most of all. Everything we said, we did, I imagined what he would've said and what he would've done that night. I could hear his voice in my thoughts, see his happy grin in my mind, especially surrounded by all the children there that night. He would've taken loads of beautiful photos here that night.

My heart is aching and I just can't stop crying as I'm typing this. This trip here without him is just not the same anymore. I keep wishing if only he had more time. Just putting up a brave front and being strong for Grandmother. She really needs our support to keep her spirits up.

Vincent ckc said...

This also happened to me every time I balik kampong when your Dad left us.He was very kind and dedicated to my father,my kids and me.
Did you remember Christmas in Hamburg with all of us?I felt like it was just yesterday!
Let us treasure our love ones,"locked" in our mind,the bank of our brains in wonderful and joyful memories always and in eternity.