I am big on birthdays.... especially the birthday cake. I remember having a fair few birthday parties when I was a child and always having a themed cake. My most memorable one was that of a fish. Not any fish, mind you, but a perfect replica of a pomfret! It was for my 4th birthday and we had it in my kindergarten.
This says a lot about me at that time because I love fish. I remember climbing up my grandmother's dining table when I was little hunting for any cooked fish, and I'd pick on the meat, eating to my heart's content. My grandma used to joke that I'd marry a fisherman one day because I ate so much fish.
And so, I believe that the choice of birthday cake is important. This edible symbol - a celebration of life, marking one's milestone over the year and ushering in the next. It also tells us a little about the person at that time. The chosen design, colour, flavour....
This year, she chose a Dora cake. Now that she can talk, speak her mind, express herself, demand...why not? I was googling through images of birthday cakes with her and came upon the chosen one. Over the next couple of weeks, brought her to shops, skimmed through magazines for cheaper options, but no, it HAS TO BE that cake from the 'puter!
I am just so amazed at how determined she was once her mind was set. Over the weeks leading up to her birthday, I must've shown her thousands of images of Dora cakes, from the internet, mags, shops, but she kept coming back to that cake from the 'puter. Good thing she is not fickle like her mother.
For this year, this cake marks her passion for Dora the Explorer. Also, she never faltered in her decision. So we got her what she wanted. In the end, the excitement and gratitude she showed us made it all worthwhile. As we brought out the cake, her eyes lit up and she said, "You got it! You got it! My cake from the 'puter! It's so preeetty. I lurb you, mum."
It is all about the birthday cake.
E.










No comments:
Post a Comment