
As a child, going to the dentist is a very daunting experience. My first experience with the dentist when I was four years old is still deeply ingrained in my memories. Although I can't remember the dentist's name (and he's probably not there anymore), I remember his clinic was in this alley way along Jalan Pudu, just before the Jalan Sultan intersection. It was in the Standard Chartered Bank building (circa 1974). You have to enter through the side, from the alley way, which is busy with patrons of a popular fruit stall, which daddy was a regular customer.
I can't remember what I was there for, but I do remember being scared, sitting on the dentist's chair and stalling. Mum and dad and the dentist were coaxing me to no avail. Next thing I knew, I was pushed back onto the chair, held down tight while screaming my lungs out. My vision of that experience was looking up into this bright white light, with mum and dad's faces (and the nurses') looking down on me while this pair of hands pry my mouth open. Such heavy-handed tactics would be considered brutal and abusive nowadays, especially if towards a child.
That was then. This is now.
Today, the techniques are more calm and soothing. It is about psychology, empowerment and reward.
Brandon's visit to the school dentist to fix a cavity turned out more than expected. We are very vigilant when it comes to caring for our children's teeth. I was shocked that the dentist, Imogen, found more problems than just the cavity alone. Firstly, it was so deep that it had touched the nerves and spread to the next tooth. She also noted another tooth having the beginnings of a cavity, one premolar has turned bad on the inside causing an abscess on the bottom gums. In addition his permanent front incisor has broken through the gums halfway, but the baby tooth was not coming loose. In short, he needed three fillings done and two extractions!! Considering the extent of damage, it would be overwhelming for anyone, let alone a child.
So he had to have all the problems fixed over the last three weeks. Watching Imogen was like watching an Angel at work.
She always started by making small chat with Brandon, putting him at ease. Sometimes cracking a joke or two. Psychology.
Then she explained to him each procedure technically but enough for a child to understand. Before she did anything, she showed him tools that she'd be using, allowed him to handle them just to have a feel and not be terrified with the 'goose-bumping' drilling, sucking sounds. Participation. Empowerment.
What amazes me the most is she reaching out for the 8 inch syringe from the side table with such grace and flow. Her hands were so gentle and steady.You wouldn't have noticed it if you weren't scrutinizing her every movement.
At the end of it all, the brave boy was served up with loads of praises, cuddles and sculptured balloons. Reward. Always.
With dentists like Imogen around, no wonder my kids have no qualms about getting their teeth checked or fixed. Also, the tooth fairy has paid us a couple of visits. YAY! :) :)
First visit to fix the first cavity.








9 comments:
Gut gemacht Brandon!Ich bin stolz auf dich.(Well done Brandon! I'm proud of U)
U lucky lucky guy.How nice to be young again and go for check-ups every month.No!I mean every week,if permission granted.
Your Mum and me had to face up with ancient Dental warriors in the olden days!
Today the modern Dentists embraced tactics often used by Samurais.(a great Triumph is,when two opponents avoid battle.)
I mean the battle of the mind.With a polite,humble,gentle and coaxing approach,they had conquered a human destination,the spirit of the mind.In their victory, they had achieved PEACE,which is very essential for a trust between a Dentist and a patient.Great job done on both sides!!!!
This is what I had always stood for,"HARMONY"
BUT do not always forget.
In every "SWEETNESS" there is a hidden "BITTERNESS".So you need to brush your teeth,every evening before going to sleep.Sweeties are very tempting and tasty and later they will attack the teeth.Like a Backstabber!
And there are other "SWEETIES" when U grow up.At the beginning they are as sweet as your Lollipop,later as "BITTER as chinese medicine.I think the cantonese has a saying," HO THAI;EMM HO SEKK"
Am I disturbing anyone from his sleep?.Dreaming of their "Sweeties"?WAKE UP!!!Time is money and money does not fall from heaven.
Going to a Dentist is a dull topic for you?Then write an essay about a ROCK,a pebble????
For me ,no problem.My OTAK is un-predictable,it is like to be a solid rock and not to roll.
By the way,I'm also going to the Dentist today.They are all dressed up in white,reminding me of my school uniform.Something like my school friends at school,when I visit the dentist.Some sort of HARMONY too!
But I prefer the Darwin's colourful outfit.May look like a colourful parrot,but a parrot in Adam and Eve's paradise.All calculated tactics for the kids.
Everytime I visit a dentist,it is not the pain that I have to tahan,but the bill.Even though we are health insured,we have to play our part too.And we pay a lot for our health insurance.
But still it is better to be insured for other reasons and illness.
Where are the N.A.T.O members?I'm getting a bit bored up here.
Hey fellas!Having a toothache or what?Can not write and no concentration?
Burnt-out?,Mid-life crisis?,Menopause?V.I.P(very impotent person!)C.h.i.e.f C.e.o.'s !!!(Common habits involving educated families--Credit embraces over'spending!!!!!!,PESSIMISM?
I beg your pardon?Me? a pesimist?
Look ladies,for those who are entering their menopause and hearing all sorts of nonsense,rumours,stories and fiction.
Menopause is not a negative curse.For a prodigy like me,M.e.n.o.p.a.u.s.e. just simply means,
(Me enjoying now over paid assets under strict egoism)ha!ha!ha!
Want more originals from Chooki?
Guten morgen! If you not already aware, here are two websites that have a large following for news not usually found in newspapers:
http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/
http://www.malaysia-today.net/2008/
I apologise for the 'silent treatment'. We're going to Vietnam for 10 days' holiday next Tuesday and I've been busy organising for the trip.
The kids will miss school so I've been going through their homework and extra work given to them for the week that they're away. Trying to get all they're school work done before we go so that they won't miss out when we get back.
Heng Dack is going to Sydney tomorrow and won't be back till Monday, so I've to organise everyone all 'my by-self'- as Alyssa would put it :)
Supermum or what!
Cho san Tai Pak!Had your breakfast?That Kopi Tiam breakfast must be fantastic!
Let me guess.Thick coffee,toast bread with "Kaya",fried noodles and mee hoon,nasi lemak,etc?
Memories of Richard,when we went fishing in Pulau Ketam,still lingers in my mind and that was way back in 1983 Winter to late Winter in 1984,around March.
We always had breakfast in Port Swettenham before heading for our "Jackpot",a fishing spot,marked only with a tied up pink plastic bag,around the mangrove branches.
Today I'm aiming for other Jackpots.
Thank you for the e-mail addresses.
"Starbuck", "Coffee Bean" are identified as meeting places for the affluent. Now we have "Old Town White Coffee", and the branding has been very successful. Now and then, my buddies would call me to join them for breakfast or for a 9 pm yam char session. One can also surf the net with the wi-fi facilities available there.
After OTWC, many imitations have mushroomed, and we have "Uncle Lim's Kopitiam" "Hailam Kopitiam" and tons of others. The same kopi O that cost 10cents, or kopi with milk for 15 cents 60 years ago (when I was small) is now going for RM2.50!
Your mention of Richard's passion for fishing brings back memories of his 'Sang Yu' trips. He would take a lot of trouble to prepare the baits - live frogs, cockroaches, lizards etc. And I still have fond memories of the nice 'sang yu meehoon soup' that Irene used to turn out for all of us to enjoy with the sang yu that Richard brought back. There was always a ready supply of sangyu at house No.98 those days!
Edith: Have a good trip in Vietnam. Such family outing strenghtens the family bond and the Chinese describes it as 天伦之乐!(Tian lun zhi le - meaning family happiness!)
Would eagerly await Chloe's account of the trip! Hope she would keep a diary of the trip.
Edith: you are truly MTT for being a real SMM - Super Mum Marvel!
Edith: When you come back from your trip, may I suggest that you re-design the format of your blog, to provide for an index page, with side columns, so that we can locate your features, pictures and the Deutscland Uncle's gems at a glance. Now we have to scroll down a mile long before we read those gems - Lernen Sie Deutsch?
I have a friend who is the Leader writer at Sin Chew Daily and she operates a blog quite nicely. You may like to take a look at it:
http://www.pohkheng88.blogspot.com/
http://aoshuang.blogspot.com/
Another school teacher's blog provides for easy access to all the features. I would love to click on some video clips of your 3 angels when they are in action. And to see the little one doing things all 'my by-self'.
Post a Comment