Thursday, August 6, 2009

When She Says She Can't Do It.


At times, I think my kids lead a very "cushy" life. It is times like this that I throw them into the deep end of the pool and test their survival skills. Call me an evil mum if you want, but I'll never know their capabilities and potential unless I do so.

The University of New South Wales conducts international assessment programs (Education Assessment Australia) annually in a range of curriculum areas. Students of schools throughout Australia can voluntarily participate in this competition. I encouraged Chloe to participate to give her a bit of competitive edge. Also to see how she performs under pressure. She signed up for Computer Skills, Spelling, English and Maths.

Last week, the results came back for Computer Skills which she did in May. She attained a Credit for the subject and was presented a certificate from University of NSW at assembly. Good girl, Chloe!

It'll be interesting to see how she goes in the other subjects. She's sitting for the Westpac Maths competition today.







26 comments:

Edith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Edith said...

testing comments

Vincent ckc said...

Edith check your E-mail,I need the answers,summer exams will be over soon.Winter exams no way to cope with.I might fail my exams if I do not study now.Typical uncle!

Vincent ckc said...

Chloe gute Leistung!Macht weiter und besser!Ya,Du kannst wenn Du willst!(Chloe good results!Go ahead and do better! Yes you can when you want!"
Mahu pandai,mesti rajin says the malaysians and sedikit sedikit jadi bukit.These are the two golden advice that I pursue in Germany.
"Da ist kein Meister von Himmel gefallen"(there is no master fallen down from heaven",says the Germans.
And "Übung macht den Meister"(Practice makes a master,actually means,the more you practice,the more skills are inflicted in your performance.
Practice!Practice! Practice!

Vincent ckc said...

So Edith,Chloe had a certificate to show around.Do you think that you will get away empty handed?Fair play is always the highest priority in a family.
You will receive a L.o.g.i.s.t.i.c. prize from me.What is it all about?In Germany working for the Logistik,one has to plan.For example,when Hong Kong shifted their Kai Tak airport to their new one.Everything had to be well planned and yet the air traffic was not stagnated.It was done by a German firm but no one noticed it.It is like the Chinese labourers building the railway all across the frontiers of America,and no one mentioned it.This is very unfair to all hardworking people in this world.
So I hereby present you my Logistic prize to you,very original from Chooki.
And the winner issssssss,EDITHHHHH!
And what is the meaning of this prize?
Labourious offerings generates industrious skills,thus intense competence!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!you deserved it!

Lee Y K said...

Bravo! Big sister has done it all 'my by-self'! Congratulations!
The credit also goes to the SMM (Super Mum Marvel) who provided maverllous training for her young at an early age. On hindsight, doesn't everyone agree that it was actually a feat to travel thousands of miles with a baby and two tiny tots. (Mind you, when I say baby, I mean both when the baby was inside her body and also after the baby was born!)
Well, Chloe received good training at an early age and we are all proud of her maturity. I can see that HD and Edith have built a happy family through love and the goodness of heart, and we share their joy and blessings!
P.s. Just a little adjustment to your blog, and it is now so convenient for us to leave our thoughts behind. Next thing is to archive the previous pieces, for us to retrieve with just a click.

Lee Y K said...

Edith, you so deserve your second award - 'the Logistic' prize. I had the honour of bestowing the first award - the S.M.M.
Before Superman was created in the 1950's, the heros in comic books were 'Captain America' and 'Captain Marvel', then only came 'Superman', 'Batman' and decades later the 'Ninjas'.
'Super Mum Marvel' was awarded for her feats in bringing up the young in a most marvellous manner!(Of course, with the help of a most marvellous husband!) Keep it up!

Edith said...

Thank you Uncles for your kind words and praises.I'm not 'super' or anything...just doing what any other mother would do for their family :)

Tai Pak: yes, setting the comments page this way, is much better. I found it annoying to scroll down the long way before. Bear in mind that I'm new at this and still learning the ropes.

I want to keep my blogsite as simple as possible and uncluttered with links for the benefit of some (not naming names but the no.98 should suffice, hehehe). Sometimes being "lou-fa-ngan" sure hinders the fun of surfing! Less is more.

Main gist of it is the stories and the pictures. In terms of archiving, it is on the right sidebar with the heading Blog Archive. This option was already there when I set the blog up. It is by months, and when you click the months, it'll expand with the titles of our daily happenings, so you can read them with just a click.

Edith said...

I had a look at the blogsites you sent me, and one of them had a 'Recent Comment' widget on the side. I tried loading that but it didn't work. Now, it's niggling at me like a fly hovering in front of my face. I spent hours trying different ways, and going through blog help to no avail. I'm not good with html, javascripts or RSS feeds, whatever that is. Will work on it more. But for now, I'll just keep it simple.

Lee Y K said...

Agreed, this is a vast improvement and meets our requirements. The archive also serves our purpose well.
What I value most are those wonderful pictures of the 3 angels.
What I would love to see is clusters of those pictures in the main page, so that when I click on them the moment I surf this blog, I can at once look at the pictures.
I take great interest in the pictures such as when big sister acted as hair-stylist for her little sister.

Vincent ckc said...

Edith your Tai Pak will also get a prize from me.For all his up to date suggestions,he will get a third prize.
I even had complaints that I'm bloggin' everybody and I should write only one sentence.Like in my primary school days in standard 3,"always starting with yesterday,for our (news),at school.And for kids like me who can write longer,gets spezial attention from my malay teacher.I even adored her till today,and she kept me writing!Puppy love can be so everlasting,something I also had to learn.
The Germans has a saying,"man lernt nie aus",which means one can never stop learning.
So what had we learnt from your uncle Tai Pak?Always adapt to new changes!.Like I always pastored to people,only through critics ,we can only improve.
Actually it is a Fairplay prize,but I added "n" and it became a FAIR"N"PLAY prize.
(Fundamental agenda in remarking "new" planning layouts,altering yesterday's.)
And the winner is Tai PaKKKKKKKK!
Congratulations to your rich contribution not to only the society but all in a family.
I think there are only four of us when it comes to writing!
The rest are c.o.w.a.r.d.s.?
(come on why are resolutions devastating,so?)
I'm going to be hammered again for making false remarks!!!
But I'm used to it too!!!!!!!!

Lee Y K said...

Wie geht es Ihnen? Es geht mir gut und Ihnen? (How are you? I am fine and you?) May be the Uncle can also start a column to teach us elementary Deutsch. I stopped learning coz I just couldn't sort out the ich bin, du bist, Ihnen und Sie. The uncle has quoted extensively in German to stress his viewpoints, and we do admire his deep knowledge of the German language and culture.
Oh, by the way, I am still on cloud 9 for being awarded the 3rd prize. I am waiting eagerly for the prize presentation ceremony. Please notify me at least 14 days before hand. I would need to buy a new dress for the occasion (reminded by the oniomaniac in my house)....

Vincent ckc said...

We can learn certain subjects like a parrot(memorize).But for Maths,Languages,Music and Art,I think,practice is the vital target,to achieve good results.Maybe I'm wrong but I'm ready to accept.
The only way to improve the German language is to read,read and read,like any other languages.
So here is is a Newspaper for beginners.
http://www.abendblatt.de/hamburg/
For a Bak Kut Teh session,I think a khaki short pant and a a white singlet will do,not to forget slippers are compulsory,the Germans call them Floppys.The "Happening" in old PJ?

Vincent ckc said...

Guten morgen Edith.Wir wünschen dir und deine Familie eine gute reise nach Vietnam.Viel spaß und gutes wetter und guten appetit!Schlangen suppe für HD(Head Director)?????? besser als VIAGRA!!!
Enjoy your trip and be careful of the motorbike ants and the traffic.!

Lee Y K said...

Danke, Herr Chong. Wie heiSSen Sie? Just wondering how to find the letter SS in German on the computer keyboard, And the u umlaut? I remember the teacher taught me to pronounce u umlaut by saying ‘you’ when my lips are rounded into a small circle.

c70 said...

uncle chong, c.o.w.a.r.d.s.?
I can't recall when i've been taught, but the saying has always been in my head...大人講野,細佬仔唔好插嘴! (dai yan gong yea, sai lou chai mm hou chap jui) Never interrupt when elders speak? ;)

wai yin je, this blog will serve as 'parenting guide for dummies'. I'm thinking of actually registering www.allinthefamily.com, however its been taken/reserved. how bout itsallinthefamily.com?
p/s: can u sort the comments by newest first?

Vincent ckc said...

I was also trying to find the chinese symbols and the arabic in my laptop.I gave up!
The Germans used to say,"andere Länder andere Sitten"(other countries other customs or traditions).
Maybe you should get one in e-bay from a German.This might solve the problem faster.

Vincent ckc said...

I respect your good manners,like your respect for the eldest.But we are now living in the 21'st century.Young and old need to communicate,exchange ideas and learn to accept critics and I mean both young and old.
One good example:the Chinese were the first to invent the compass,gunpowder,paper,silk production and ceramic pottery some to mention.And after that what did the younger generation did.They never dared to interrupt the great ancient inventions of their ancestors,for the sake of good manners?They got stuck in the mud and the europeans overtook them.
It is OK to obey the eldest but not their thoughts and ideas.The young must also have a chance to speak out.This is my personal opinion.
A good companion for my comment is a song from Cat Stevens"Father and son"and "better man" from Robbie Williams.
If you believe me,one day a 3 year old can throw out his or her's opinion and tame a grandfather.Wanna take a bet?

Lee Y K said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Needham

Herr Choo, what you have raised is ‘Needham and his Grand Question’. Needham was fascinated and amazed at the scientific and technological advancement of the Chinese since ancient times, but why have their progress stagnated since then? The Grand Question is still being asked today.
All my life I have taken an interest to really understand Chinese culture and western thoughts, since this is an essential tool in my career as a Chinese Interpreter.
In the last century, a missionary Smith wrote a book on the Characteristics of the Chinese. A Chinese scholar who was proficient in English didn’t like Smith’s perception of Chinese culture, and the Chinese scholar Ku辜鸿铭 wrote a book ‘The Spirit of the Chinese people’expressing his views from the Chinese standpoint.
The Chinese philosophy as contained in Confucius, Laotze, Zhuangtze, may be a retarding force in the materialistic world, but the Chinese never for a moment forget the importance of ‘harmony’ 和. This is amply demonstrated when China hosted the Olympic games. Harmony with nature is now a primary concern of the Chinese leaders.
And now harmony in “all in the family” is also on display!! Good thing you speak of C.O.W.A.R.D not in the real sense of its literal meaning as in the English vocabulary, but enough to provide the fillip for at least one ‘sai lo zai’ (toddler)to react! I do hope more ‘sai lo zai’ will be able to share in your wisdom, deep knowledge and most unique experiences!!

Vincent ckc said...

We can count the Chinese inventions with our 10 fingers but for the Europeans inventions,we need more than 10 fingers.
It is their conservative thoughts,their arrogance,stubbornness,innovated brain self blockade and laying rocks in front of themselves,that had slowed their speed in inventions.
The same arrogance applied by the Germans with their electrical products.Today they are 20 years behind the Japanese,South Koreans and the Taiwanese in electronical and digital technology.They were always proud of their "made in Germany" cameras,not noticing that the others had overtaken them,while they were preaching about their "one" product and the others coming out with more innovated inventions.This must be the reason for their downfall in electronical technology that I had personally witnessed in the 20th century.In the beginning of the 21st century, they invented only the MP3 player and then?
I'm also a person who always like to study the human behaviour including the western an asian inhabitants.
I had personally found out that Germans are always very logical.Anything they do or invent has to be a logic behind it.
And Chinese likes to reason things out first before adventuring into something.This is my wealth in living in two cultures and creaming them out.
For an example:a german boy will always be interested to know what is inside his toy and how the mechanical system function,without threats from his mother.
A Chinese boy will be so afraid to get canning from his mother for spoiling his toy?Therefore he has a reason not to hurt or disappoint his mother.
Famous sentences from cantonese mothers,
"Hey pin tow ahhh?"
"Cho mat yeh ahhh?"
Very concerning sentences but these words will never make a child grow up.

Lee Y K said...

The long and short of it is that "all in the family" enjoys the best of both worlds!
P.s. - eagerly awaiting a full report on the Vietnam sojourn!

Unknown said...

CONGRATS CHLOE. I had went through your blog recently and see that your kids had successfully achieved so many things in school. What a proud mom you would be :) And CONGRATS to you the SUPERMOM :)
The assessment you had mentioned.. I am not sure but I think it is the same as International Competitions & Assessments for Schools (ICAS) by University of New South Wales too. This is the first year that they (Celine & Caitlyns' school) had conducted something like this. Sad to say I had missed the opportunity to send Celine to tryout. When the time I found out what was really about, I was too late to register. This is the bad side of them schooling near my mom's that I don't know what is going on in their school as I am never there :( I had bought the old set of the question for Celine to do to prepared for next year, hopefully they will continue to conduct such event as the response wasn't really good.
Once again, CONGRATS to both SUPERMOM and SUPERKID :) and I mean it!

Vincent ckc said...

The Germans used to say,"Wissen ist Macht!"
(Knowledge is POWER!)
and a wise man once said,"an error is only a mistake,when we refuse to correct it!"
It is never too late to do anything,just as long as we do it and fulfill our mission.
And a nice song to go with this advise is,"there will always be a tomorrow"from Gloria Estefan.
And where?Try Youtube!

Vincent ckc said...

Sorry folks!Correction!The title of the song is (Always tomorrow by Gloria Estefan)with a fast click in the Youtube,U will N joy this powerful song with lyrics.
Remember?a wise man onced said,an error...........bla bla bla !!!!

Vincent ckc said...

A clever,smart and intelligent person is a result from his or her hardwork in revision.But talent is a gift from God.No way?
Watch Charice Pempengco in Korea part 1 and 2,where it all started.She was around 12 or 13.a tiny Filipina with a voice like thunder!
"I come from a land from under,where women glow and men thunder,
I say are you trying to tempt me,cos I come from a land of plenty!"Bullshit!
Asians also boleh!!!

Vincent ckc said...

We had came across Jimi Hendrix,Carlos Santana,Eric Clapton,Jeff Beck,....but,do anybody know who Yuto Miyazawa is?
He is the youngest professional guitarist and is in the Guiness book of world record.
Watch him in Ellen Degeneres show,of course in Youtube!
Wah how nice to be in the Government service!Got computer,got so much time and so much talent to watch Youtube.
This must be a gift from God!!!!