Friday, March 5, 2010

I Did It!


Oh yes, she did it alright.

Since she started pre-school, she feels that she is part of the in-crowd; a member of the schoolies - just like her big sister and brother. Whatever they do, she has to do. If they have homework, she will have homework too. If they do excellent work and get a reward sticker, she must have a reward sticker too.

In the last couple of weeks, I've been busy teaching her to write her name. One fine day, she ran up to me excited and exclaimed, "I did it! I did it! I did it all by myself!" She shoved her workbook in front of my face and true enough she wrote her name without any help. As you can see, she too has rewarded herself with a sticker for excellent work before even making sure if her writing was right or not. That's confidence for you.



So that's ten points achievement for mummy for teaching her to write her name, until yesterday when my achievement bubble popped - by her teacher. She said to me, " Edith, you should know by now that the kids are taught to write their names in lower case with the beginning letter in capitals instead of all in upper case." Oops.

The case that prompted this remark: Apparently earlier in the day, the children were told to trace their name. After doing so, Alyssa realised that her name wasn't written as how she was taught. She flatly told her teacher that she was wrong, and the correct way to write her name is A-L-Y-S-S-A, and not A-l-y-s-s-a. Below, is the incriminating evidence of the correction she made upon her teacher. Now, THAT is confidence for you.


Alyssa's teacher tells me that she is the smallest (in size) and youngest in her class, yet she has the mind of a 40-year-old. And she talks like one too! Hmm...no wonder.

1 comment:

Vincent ckc said...

Good work Mama Mia,keep on writing.I love to read stories from you in the future,singing on a stage or my bodyguard when I get old and teeterred.In case a doggy try to bully me!!!!!!.