Saturday, September 22, 2012

Chloe's Calisthenics Competition

Chloe has never been a sporty person and not a keen participant in much physical activities in and out of school. When she went to Alyssa's Calisthenics Christmas concert last year, she was completely taken by the beauty, grace and skill variety of calisthenics. I was very happy when she voluntarily decided to take up calisthenics this year, which is about the only sport she does.  We've not looked back since.

Yesterday was their 2012 NTCA Team Championships. The days leading up to it, she was abuzz with excitement and anticipation, more so with the preparation of it all....the spray-tanning, getting her hair and make-up done, plus the variety of costume changes. It was a pleasant change from the gruelling 4-days-a-week training over the last month.




Miss Alyssa tagged along to have a sticky beak at behind the scenes. She's still in Missies, so they're not at competition level yet. Next year she will be.



I just have to include these two photos taken by Alyssa. I thought they give an appropriate feel to the preparation behind the scene....the glitter and glamour of stage performance.



Since taking up calisthenics this year, Chloe's flexibility, strength, coordination, poise and posture have improved immensely. In addition, she is a very shy and low-key person. During school concerts, she always stay under the radar, or just simply "hide towards the back of the stage". On stage at the competitions, I noticed how much confidence she has now and she actually shines on stage. I'm so proud of what she has achieved.

Here she is doing the Tiger Stand and also the splits.



At competition night, family and spectators weren't allowed to take photos or film. There are official photographer and filmographer, so we'll have to wait for those to come out to purchase them. Once I get a hold of the DVD of Chloe's team performances, I'll put it up.

Backstage in their dressing room, while awaiting for their turn, Chloe and her friends took pictures on their ipods and mobiles for keepsake.

Club Swinging ~ involves swinging clubs smoothly, with precision rhythm, timing and planning. It challenges one's own coordination as well as the coordination of the team through formations and execution of dance steps while performing intricate swings.



Figure March ~ is about correct deportment as the team strives to create many intricate formations and patterns. Uniformity of style is the fundamental requirement as rhythm and precision within the team must be identical.



Aesthetic ~ is ballet influenced which displays the team's ability to interpret music and perform with grace and elegance. Soft, flowing movements, facial and body expressions are all essential to evoke emotion and empathy from the audience.



Rod Exercise ~ is also about precision and uniformity. The quick and constant manipulation of the rod combined with footwork and flexibility demonstrate high levels of coordination.



Free arm ~ involves a series of strong movements showing flexibility, control and uniformity of rhythm. The routines test stamina and display imaginative choreography and include gymnastic style movements.



Dance arrangement ~ is any choice of dance, style and rhythm that keeps with the theme of the choice of song. Their performance for the night was 'Good Girl Cabaret'.


As we can tell from the snapshots Chloe took, the girls had a lot of fun that night, though they didn't win, but most importantly Chloe enjoyed every bit of it, training, competing and all.

Since I don't have videos yet of Chloe's performances, here is a video of what calisthenics involves...not to be confused with ballet, gymnastics or rhythmic gymnastics.




Have a good day y'all!

1 comment:

lee said...

Many thoughts come to mind when I read this well written report. All I can say is, Tai Pa is as proud as you are to see Chloe growing up so beautifully!