Miss Mak Nenek....I swear to you, sometimes I believe there's a forty-year-old woman in this Mak Nenek's tiny four-year-old body. Granted, she'll be turning five in three months time and she's a "big girl" now (as she would constantly remind us), she is still a child to everyone one of us. Our little baby. However, she doesn't talk like one and she often leaves us speechless and flabbergasted with her "adult" talk. Here's what she had to say:
Situation 1:
The other day, hubby wanted to take her for a bike ride and told her to hurry up and get ready. She ran into the room to grab her socks. While there, I took the opportunity to ask her to first put away her toys which she was playing just before. Silence as she rummage through the drawer for her socks. Then she threw this line at me as she ran out of the room, "Sorry mum, I've to go. I don't have time to discuss about it with you right now!"
What???!!!
Situation 2:
Another day, she was outside in the yard collecting
And she actually knows the meaning of finishing touch :-/
Situation 3:
We were watching this adventure/survival movie where the characters encounter trouble and got lost in the Amazon jungle. Right from the beginning the characters came across problem after problem. The one scene which led them to be stranded in the jungle was where their boat went through some dangerous rapids and waterfalls and finally the boat broke apart. As the characters clamour to the banks of the river, she said, "Mmm...looks like they're having a really bad day." With much sarcasm I might add.
Situation 4:
We were talking about fire and the different degrees of heat from different fires (orange, blue and white). So I took the chance to just remind her that fire is dangerous and is bad. She was quick to correct me though, "Fire that burn you is bad, but it's also good. It gives you light, keeps you warm and helps you cook." That's true, and I commended her and asked her who told her that. "No one. My brain told me. Don't you know that I'm supersmart?"
Hmmm....some may call this confidence, but for others, she could be quite kwai-lan (hope this is not a rude term) as the Hokkiens would call it.
There's no mediocrity in her vocabulary. She's either that or nothing at all as evident in her prefacing her adjectives and verbs with super. Supersmart, superpretty, supercute, superbusy, superhungry, superangry, etc.

4 comments:
She's got the brains to stunn all the adults! She ought to be a professor in no time!
For sure we will not hear inarticulate statement from her.She is super natural and will adapt to the nature of her speech.
"Kwai lan" should not be categorize as a negative specific word,if we want to distinguish the characteristics or quality of an emancipated little professor.From my personal experience,"Kwai lan" kids are very independent in their speech and will stand and defend their statement in general.
Therefore we must communicate with a precocious child with respect.Throw them inane remarks,comments or questions,you will surely get back the same vacuous answer.
This has nothing to do with "no respect for the adults!",but the aspects of a situation, viewed by the mind of modern 21st century kids,exposing their innovative and creative abilities.Which will sometimes sound or look like,"this brat has no manners!".If we indulge in this way of conservative thinking,we can never improve or to be able to compete with the rest of the world.I am glad and proud that we have little professors around,especially in "all in the family" and I am sure my late brother-in-law Richard will be very proud of his grand children too.
To put it simple and short."Yes you can,Alyssa!"
"Kalau mahu pandai,mesti rajin!"
This song is dedicated to all and the lead singer of the family.
The Stylistics-you make me feel brand new-live 1975 (4.17)Gosh!36 years gone so fast!Altogether,37 and 6 years extended version(consolation mercy!,Guan Yin's mercy).She had always protected the "keluartangs" abroad!
Please Edith don't laugh,but just watch the first singer(Stylistics)and the microphone in front and his hairstyle.Don't they look like identical TWINS??????
Better sound system from Mick Hucknall.
Simply Red-you make me feel brand new (Vinä 2009)Fantastic concert.That Asian guy with the guitar and long hair is not me,although I used to protest against the "clean cut establishment"in that way,almost 4 decades ago.
At the moment,old man(i mean old school)listening to Nelly.No,no not Furtado,more harder.Luckily the album version(country gangstarr grammar)is not like the soften Youtube version!
I am letting the dogs out....my Yin and Yang philosophy regaining the upper hand again!
P/s Please Chloe don't ever try to make a microphone on anybody.Not nice to see Alyssa belting a song on somebody's hair style,I mean head!Joke lah!
Post a Comment