Friday, March 4, 2011

Well, pardon me, Picasso!

There  is a garden in every childhood, an enchanted place where colours are brighter, the air softer, and the morning more fragrant than ever again.

~Elizabeth Lawrence~




I mentioned here previously about how much my Missy Moo loves drawing. I also mentioned that she loves putting up her drawings all over the house - the walls, doors, the fridge...literally any flat surfaces. Frequently, I've to pick up her drawings that have fallen on the floor. One day, one of her drawings was blown off the fridge magnet holding it to the fridge.

Me: Alyssa! Please pick up your picture from the floor before I accidentally step on it!
Alyssa (looking around): Where? What picture? 
Me (pointing at the offending piece of paper on the floor): That! 
Alyssa (in a haughty voice): Oh that! That's not a picture, mum. That's art !

Touché. Talk about being picky on the vocabulary.

..............................................................................................................................................


Yesterday, while waiting for her outside her classroom, I had a peep in, and noticed that she was sitting at the desk doing some work while the rest of her classmates were at the front of the class listening to storytime. Straight away, I felt the claws of disapproval creep up on me. I thought she must've been slow in her work, and so she has to stay back to do it while the rest were treated with a story.

When class was let out, I went in to ask her how come she was still doing her work when everyone else had finished. The teacher came beside me, and I prematurely apologised for Alyssa's lack of efficiency.

"Oh no, no." she said. "Come, come with me." She walked me to her desk and went through her pile of her class' drawings. She pulled out Alyssa's. She then walked to one wall fully covered with children's drawings and pointed out a few of Alyssa's. "Look at all her work. Look at how beautiful and colourful her drawings are." She flipped through some very impressive work of art. "Alyssa is very meticulous and pays attention to details in her drawings. Artwork like this need a lot of time and effort, which was what she was doing. She chose to spend the time producing quality workmanship. She has created marterpieces, mum. You should be proud!"

I am proud. All her drawings are so bright, colourful and cheery, representing her vibrant personality. She loves her sunshine, rainbows, gardens filled with birds and butterflies; not forgetting that she always have friends and family in her pictures dotted with love-hearts all over - shows her affectionate nature, her love for her friends and family.

Yet, this petite Miss Four-and-Half carries so much spunk and worldliness that she is absolutely justified in pointing out the distinction between picture and art.









5 comments:

lee said...

I am sure those who read this blog would want to see some of the masterpieces by little Alyssa. May be it is time to submit some entries to the World's Children Art Competition.

Vincent ckc said...

Abbalyssa is a multi talent.I like her drawings.Will be one of the most prettiest artist in future.Is she still singing?

Edith said...

Thank you uncles for your compliments. Oh, I don't think her 'masterpieces' are up to competition standards. However, I'm proud of her discipline and diligence her teacher told me about. When she sets her mind and heart into doing something, nothing gets in her way and there's no stopping her.

Yes, Uncle Chong, still singing, and she's moved on to Black Eyed Peas now. She could sure belt out a number as good as Fergie :)

lee said...

Uncle Chong: Alyssa can sing beautifully, no doubt about it. She delighted Great Grandma so much on Sunday when she sang "the two tigers" in Chinese. She even obliged with an encore. Her diction in Chinese was perfect. Now that the super mum has mentioned it, we will request her to sing 'Black eyed peas' the next time we call Darwin. She is simply marvellous and so cute when she performs her special dance. May be I should book a hall for her to give a performance when she comes in June.

Vincent ckc said...

I would like to dedicate-black eyed peas bebot to Fergielyssa.Bebot means "kodok/gals/chicks)in Tagalog.Bahala na....don't take it too seriously...it's just a song!But I still wish I could be 19 and heading to Manila.Is there a Karma somewhere? A time machine?
If you can't get Bebot in Youtube...go to Google and to the Videos...they still have Bebot on their recipe.
BEP is also one of my favourite group.Don't phunk with my heart/shut up/don't lie/where is the love...affengeil!
Too old to do break dance like APL,but I can still do "brake dance"!!!!!!!!!!!Quite good at it!
Ciao,I want to watch BEP in Manila live.Sollly!