Thursday, November 17, 2011

Welcome to Darwin, Mr. President!

It was announced that the President of USA would make a stop-by visit to Darwin although not much other information or details were given. Everyone and everything went about as usual, however you can sense the excitement brewing in the air. Towards the afternoon, the buzz heightened when roadblocks were set up here and there, and security presence started to appear every 50 meters or so. Not only were there our local enforcements, but also the Australian Federal Police and the military.

I was considering jostling with the crowd with baby in tow to catch a glimpse or just plonking my car next to the army trucks along Stuart Highway (where Power and Water is) just to watch his motorcade go past. However, timing wasn't right as I had to pick up the kids from school. I did have my five seconds of indirect fame when I saw the military plane that carried his bulletproof car come in to land just as I was pulling up at Chloe's school.

My friend, Karen, got unlucky but lucky at the same time :) She was on her way to pick up her kids from school when she got caught up in the traffic block and couldn't get anywhere. She couldn't pick up her kids nor could she go home. Stranded, she had to stop by the side of the road until the blocks opened again. LUCKILY....where she had to stop her car was right along the fenced runway of our airport. And guess what?! Right before her eyes, Air Force One touched down! Talk about being at the right place at the right time. She whipped out her iPhone and managed to get these shots. Lucky lucky Karen.

I guess President Obama's visit will put us on the map, Darwin being a small, quiet city and all. Now we can rightfully inscribe on our walls "Obama Wuz Here!".

(picture courtesy of Karen Chin)

(pictures courtesy of Karen Chin)


Here's a little joke that came with this auspicious day. After I picked up my kids, I said we'll drive down Bagot Road to check out the preparation for President Obama's arrival. Since it wasn't long before his arrival I said we may be able to catch his plane landing. Here's the little funny conversation that ensued:

Me: Did you know that the President travels in his own aeroplane and that it has it's own name? Do you know what it is called?

Brandon: The Shepherd.

Me: What?! Nooo....it's not called that! Why do you think it's that?

Brandon: Because it's carrying very important sheep.

Me: What?! What sheep?

Brandon: Yeah! It's carrying Baaa-rack Obaaa-ma! (said with complete sheep bleating sound effect).


Mind you, funny and silly as it seems, I was quite impressed with his impromptu response as it was very witty. Forget about a career in engineering or biomedical science. I'll just send my son to Hollywood and he can have his career as a comedian. He'll probably make more money.

4 comments:

dano said...

Hmm, a Seinfeld in the making.

Vincent ckc said...

Is the fuel cheaper in Darwin? I thought New Zealand is in the other direction....mekkkkk(German sound)...ooops!.. that was a goat!

lee said...

Don't ever use the word 'nerd' on this brilliant boy again! He is so quick witted, and I am thoroughly amazed! If he goes for an IQ test, the score would definitely be more than 200!

Vincent ckc said...

Brandon is a wizard at math or a math prodigy.The next level is to be a polymath and to have a vision to invent something and I'm sure that pretty Korean girl will also be very happy too,not only mummy.